top of page

Group

Public·2 members

Interview: Mark Wherry, Man Behind Hollywoods Digital Musical Instruments, Hans Zimmer Collabora

Interview: Mark Wherry, Man Behind Hollywoods Digital Musical Instruments, Hans Zimmer Collabora ===> https://blltly.com/2tzfG8

Interview: Mark Wherry, Man Behind Hollywoodâs Digital Musical Instruments, Hans Zimmer Collaborator

Mark Wherry is a composer, sound designer and software developer who has worked on some of the most iconic film scores of the past two decades. He is best known for his collaboration with Hans Zimmer, creating custom digital musical instruments and sounds for movies such as The Dark Knight trilogy, Inception, Interstellar and The Lion King. In this interview, we talk to him about his background, his creative process and his latest projects.

How did you get started in music and sound design

I started playing piano when I was four years old and I was always fascinated by music and technology. I grew up in the UK in the 80s and 90s, when there was a lot of innovation in electronic music and computer games. I was inspired by artists like Jean-Michel Jarre, Vangelis and Depeche Mode, as well as composers like John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith. I also loved playing games like Elite, Doom and Myst, which had amazing soundtracks and sound effects.

I studied music at university and then I got a job at a music software company called Emagic, which was later acquired by Apple. I worked on Logic Pro, which is a popular digital audio workstation that many composers use today. I learned a lot about programming and audio engineering there, and I also met Hans Zimmer through a mutual friend. He invited me to work with him on some of his projects and that's how it all began.

What is your role in Hans Zimmer's team

I'm mainly responsible for creating custom digital musical instruments and sounds for Hans and his co-composers. I use a variety of tools and techniques, such as sampling, synthesis, scripting and coding. I try to capture the essence of the story and the characters in the sound design, and also to give Hans something unique and inspiring to play with. Sometimes I also write additional music or arrange existing themes for different scenes or genres.

Every project is different and challenging in its own way. For example, for The Dark Knight trilogy, we wanted to create a dark and gritty sound world that reflected the mood of Gotham City and the psychology of Batman. We used a lot of distorted electric guitars, drums and brass, as well as some unconventional instruments like metal pipes, chains and razor blades. For Inception, we wanted to create a dream-like sound that played with the concept of time and reality. We used a lot of organic sounds like piano, strings and vocals, but also manipulated them with effects like reverbs, delays and pitch shifting. For The Lion King, we wanted to create a rich and authentic sound that honored the original animated movie but also brought something new to the live-action remake. We used a lot of African instruments and vocals, as well as some custom-made instruments like a giant marimba that we built ourselves.

What are some of the latest projects that you are working on

One of the latest projects that I'm working on is Dune, which is directed by Denis Villeneuve and scored by Hans Zimmer. It's based on the classic sci-fi novel by Frank Herbert and it's a very epic and ambitious movie. We are trying to create a sound that matches the scale and scope of the story, as well as the diversity and complexity of the characters and cultures. We are using a lot of exotic instruments from different parts of the world, as well as some custom-made instruments that we designed specifically for this movie.

Another project that I'm working on is Spitfire Audio's Hans Zimmer Strings library, which is a virtual instrument that features over 300 string players recorded at AIR Studios in London. It's one of the largest string libraries ever made and it offers a lot of flexibility and control for composers who want to create cinematic string sounds. I helped design some of the features and presets for this library, as well as some of the demos that showcase its capabilities.

What are some of the challenges o

About

Welcome to the group! You can connect with other members, ge...
Group Page: Groups_SingleGroup
bottom of page